Monday, January 18, 2010

And so the journey begins!

Flexibility. This is one of the keys to a rewarding experience abroad, according to Dr. Hardin. We had a taste of this last evening when, upon arriving at Harrisburg International Airport, we were informed that my flight was delayed due to rain and clouds. Our only option: drive 3 hours (in the direction we had just come from) in order to make the connecting flight in Newark.

There was no problem, other than the minor inconvenience. I got checked in and through security in plenty of time and arrived safely at London's Heathrow a skip and a jump later. I have a feeling I am going to understand what jet lag is by this time tomorrow; it is hard for the body to adjust when its natural sleep cycle is broken. In fact, it is difficult for anything to function when its natural cycle is interfered with.

Nevermind. I am quite ready to go to South Africa, though I am not going with outrageous expectations. In many ways this is a soul-searching journey for me as much as it is a learning experience. Although I have never been abroad, I have a feeling that removing a person from her comfort zone forces her to look deep within herself and find what lies at the core of her being. I imagine it might be somewhat like (but also very unlike) the experiences Elizabeth Gilbert shares in "Eat, Pray, Love." I've decided to re-read this book for a boost of inspiration, and I imagine I can have it finished after the, oh, ELEVEN-hour flight to Cape Town.

At Heathrow I took a shuttle bus to the terminal from which my next flight will depart. I cringed inside and squinted my eyes when I saw that the bus in which I was riding was over the center-line and in the lane of the oncoming traffic. I quickly relaxed, and blushed to myself, after realizing that the traffic coming towards us was also completely on "our" side of the road.

And that was the first time it hit me: Ashley, you are not in America anymore. Now you are going to learn what it means to be American.

This is going to be a good four-and-a-half months!

No comments:

Post a Comment