Friday, January 22, 2010

Visit to the Projects

Up until today, I have felt nothing but overwhelmed. Today, however, we visited the four project sites where we will potentially be working. Two of those sites were schools, one primary and the other high school. Despite my being on the track to teach at the high school level, I felt more at home in the elementary school, which is where I would like to offer my help. If I am placed here, I will be assisting a teacher part-time, and will also have my own class of about fourteen students, teaching a subject of my choice. The township surrounding the school formerly had the highest crime rate (in Cape Town, perhaps?), but has since fallen to the second highest spot. The school itself, however, is very safe. This is the one thing I love about schools – they are structured and predictable, a place where students can always feel safe. I will write more about the school provided I am placed there for my service project. For now, I am going to freshen up; this evening we are going to a fancy African restaurant and dancing the night away!On a side note, this journey has already been quite the experience. I am learning a lot, to say the least. Adjusting is going to take time, and this is one of the reasons I chose to come here. I wanted to test my limits, my spirit, my ability to adapt to change. This mission will certainly be accomplished. (I have no other choice!) In the meantime, you should be comforted to know that the house where we are staying is quite safe and in a decent area on campus. There is a locked gate around the property, a locked gate to the front door of the house, and bars on the windows. There is also an alarm system (which should soon be enabled), and security officers patrol the property. Many of our orientation lectures have been dedicated to discussions of safety. It is causing me to become more fearful than before I left the States – no, fearful is not the right word. Rather, it is hardening my soft soul, and forcing me to recognize the reality of the situations I will encounter, and some that I already have. Nevertheless, all is well here, and after visiting the school today, I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment